Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Healthy Brownies?


I saw this recipe on Spork or Foon? for "healthy brownies." I thought to myself, "Can this be true?" I love deep chocolate, fudgey brownies, but I never make them. For one, I've always been a terrible baker. My out-of-the-box brownies always ended up bland and hard as a rock. I also have a terrible habit of eating far too many than I should (more than one...). With my new found confidence in baking, the idea of a brownie that I could guiltlessly indulge upon was intriguing. Plus, these were certainly talked up over at Spork or Foon. I had the evening free, so decided to give them a try.

Healthy Brownies
from Spork or Foon

1/2 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 c unsweetened applesauce
3 egg whites
1 c sugar
1 t fine sea salt
1 t vanilla extract
1 t instant coffee granules
1/2 c white whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 c chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an individual brownie pan or 8 inch square baking pan, with non-stick cooking spray.

In a large bowl mix together all of the dry ingredients. Mix the applesauce and egg whites and gently fold into the dry mixture. Stir only until moistened.

Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle with chopped nuts. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until desired texture is reached. Less time will result in a more dense, gooey brownie and longer time will produce a cake like brownie.


These were a major miss. I added chocolate chips in an attempt to make them more tasty. I failed. They are a sad waste of quality ingredients. They tasted like chewy, grainy, chocolatey apple wedges. I might try to make them again, maybe I missed something. For now, though, I'll stick to terribly unhealthy brownies.

No comments:

Post a Comment